July 30, 2011

Pancakes vs. Waffles

The battle rages on.
I woke up this morning craving something for breakfast that didn't consist of bran flakes or toast. Instantly, I began the debate between pancakes and waffles. The debate finally ended when my stomach let out one painfully loud growl, and I decided that pancakes were just too heavy and that waffles it would be. From what I can tell, there really aren't that many tricks to making homemade waffles. You can add a few slight variations, but ultimately, you'll follow a recipe like this:

Ingredients:
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 3/4 cups milk
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon white sugar
    • 4 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Directions:

    1. Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl until fluffy. Mix in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, until smooth.
    2. Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.

    I remember being so intimidated to try my hand at waffles, and then I realized how simple and easy it really was. To top it all off, we bought some strawberries at the local farmer's market on Friday and they added a fresh, sweet berry topping to the waffles. Mmm! This recipe makes 6-8 servings, so I just put the extras in a freezer bag, once they cooled down a bit, and will freeze them for later...or tomorrow. ;)

    1 comment:

    1. I'm confident you made the right choice. Go Team Waffles!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...