July 11, 2011

Brown Rice Risotto Kicked My Butt

At 8:30 p.m. last night, I realized that the brown rice risotto I just spent the past 2 hours on was not going to turn into that wonderfully creamy and soft concoction I had dreamed up. *sigh* I know a risotto is a bit ambitious, I mean you literally have to stir a pot for an hour, but add on top of that the fact that I threw in long grain brown rice to make the dish "healthier" and you might think I'm crazy. Well, as the saying goes: if it 'aint broke, don't fix it. Google gave me some assurance that others have mastered the brown rice risotto, but for some reason mine just didn't cook right. The flavor of my risotto was amazing, exactly like I'd dreamed it up to be, the mixture had exactly the right creaminess to it, despite brown rice being low in starch, but the rice just wasn't cooked enough and far too crunchy for the amount of time it had been cooking. I have a sneaking suspicion it was because I used long grain brown rice.

So I'm writing this post a little disheartened, because all weekend I was so excited to "wow" my husband with this risotto and also to share with you all, but let this be a lesson: it's ok to fail every now and again. (even in the kitchen) As sad as it was, and as silly as I felt being that "wife" who burned the dinner, it gave me that much more motivation to get down and dirty and make it right the next time. I WILL master the brown rice risotto and it will be amazingly delicious. You all will be the first to know! Before I consult Google for any tips and tricks with brown rice risotto, any kitchen chefs out there have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...